Become A Director
Director/Show Submissions Sought for
We are frequently asked, "How do you choose a season?"
This is a very important question, and one that really shapes meeting our mission.
The short answer: We ask potential directors to submit productions they would like to direct, and we choose from the pieces submitted.
That really oversimplifies the process, but it truly is the basis of how the decisions are made. In fact, we have used this traditional method for selecting a season for most of our history. We desire directors who are truly passionate about the piece they will be directing so that passion comes through in the final product.
As part of the selection process, we try to offer a balanced season - providing a variety of genres: comedies, dramas, and musicals. Because of this variety of subject matter, we understand that not every production will appeal to every audience member, patron, and donor. We balance riskier productions (those which may not generally have a wide audience) with productions that have wider appeal. We also balance first-time directors or directors new to BCP with names who have a history with the playhouse.
It is this balance that has allowed our subject matter to remain relevant and be able to continuously produce a diverse season to the greater Indianapolis area for the past 42 years.
Are you or someone you know interested in directing a production in our 44th season in 2017-2018? Now is your chance!
To be considered, please provide the following information in your submission:
- Program Selection Submission Form - Please find the .PDF or fillable Microsoft Excel forms to download below. On the form, please include information on the proposed production and other important details and rank our six production time slots in order of preference. Please note, only five of the six slots will be chosen at this time. The six slot will be chosen at a later date based on a separate call for submissions.
- One (1) copy of each script (play and/or musical). Please be sure to also submit one (1) copy of a cast recording (CD or audio files) in addition to the script for all musical submissions. Since the musical score is such an integral part of a stage musical, no musical submissions can be considered without a recording accompanying it.
- A theatrical resume outlining past directing experience and theatrical background.
A director may propose any play or musical they would like to direct; however, please keep in mind our facility and stage, as well as the marketability of your submission. Please find more information below on budgets, facility, etc.
All submissions must be received or postmarked no later than Friday, September 30, 2016. Submissions may be mailed via U.S. Mail, dropped off, or e-mailed.
If you choose to mail your submissions, please send to:
Buck Creek Players
Attn: Program Selection
11150 Southeastern Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46259
If mailing your submission, please send by way of the United States Postal Service ONLY. We are an all-volunteer community theater and unfortunately do not have staff available during the day to sign for UPS or Fed Ex deliveries. You may also save postage by dropping off submissions directly to the playhouse or by e-mailing your submission(s).
Over our 40+ years of existence, very few productions have been repeated, with new pieces highly encouraged. We will fully consider pieces we have previously produced; however, if all other factors are equal, preference will be given to the piece we have not produced. For a list of past productions, please view our Past Seasons.
All submissions will be reviewed by the Program Selection Committee in the coming months, and the proposed season will be chosen and approved by the Buck Creek Players Board of Directors and General Membership. The Program Selection Committee will choose five of the six performance slots listed. The remaining slot will be filled at a later date under a separate submission process. All potential directors will be notified whether or not their pieces were selected for the 2017-2018 season.
Please contact me with any questions.
Please find the following forms available for download below:
- 2017-2018 Program Selection Submission Form (.PDF)
- 2017-2018 Fillable Program Selection Submission Form (Microsoft Excel)
- Production FAQ's
- Sample Production Budgets
- Stage Floor Diagram
|File Size:||38 kb|